I popped into Tom&Serg for lunch one weekend with a friend. The place is still busy regardless of the two new ventures which are now open; The Sum of Us in Trade Centre area and the newly opened Common Grounds in Mall of the Emirates. The decor has the same industrial feel with a touch of greenery across all 3 branches with the addition of lush floral arrangements for sale at the front of the cafe.Besides their short menu, they also serve a variety of cakes and pastries to tempt you, including the Aussie tradition of Lamingtons.I think they were a little understaffed as they weren’t very attentive and it took a good while to be seated and passed some menus. As the menu is not overly extensive we chose quite quickly and likewise the food arrived in a jiffy (bearing in mind we only had salads).
The presentation was lacking as it looked like it had been thrown onto the plate. However that being said the Moroccan chicken salad was full of flavor and very satisfying. The iced latte I ordered was also particularly good with no need to add any sugar.
My friend however didn’t enjoy her super-food salad as much calling it “bland and boring” as it didn’t quite hit the spot.Due to the concrete floors it does get quite noisy in here and with every table full the chatter buzz is quite loud so don’t go expecting to get any work done. Go for the brunch vibe without the alcohol of course.
Tom&Serg is located at 15A Street, Al Quoz.
Puer; located on Danks St Waterloo, boasts a modern decor with an abundance of wood paneling and furniture with a touch of bamboo. Being an avid dumpling fan I was excited to try this, then new, Asian restaurant. The service was decent for a lunch time sitting however there is always room for improvement.
We ordered the scallop dumpling, gyoza, shanghai and the spicy prawn dumplings. The dumpling skin was a lot thicker than what I’ve eaten at other places but still enjoyable nonetheless.
We also ordered the Pu’er green tea and the chocolate brownie for dessert. The brownie was quiet bitter for me, I’m assuming a high percentage cocoa was used in the making. The green tea was superb on the palate and nice digestive after all the food.
So if you’re looking for a quieter spot for lunch with some unique variations on offer, then look no further than Puer.
Although Dubai might be a little behind in terms of the milkshake craze which has been made famous by the capital of Australia, (cue below image courtesy of Patissez)…
…you don’t need all the exaggerated toppings to be able to find and enjoy a delicious tasting shake. (Although it does add to the excitement)
I went on the hunt to try some of the popular ones around town. Below are my findings in no particular order…
- 1. Five Guys – I ordered a mix of Chocolate & Oreo. Just divine. Thick, creamy and a scrumptious chocolate flavor. For 25dhs you can mix in as little or as many add ins as you want.
- 2. Clinton Street Bakery – I went for the coffee flavored shake. Super thick and creamy with a nice caffeine hit. 30dhs.
- 3. Tasha’s – I’ve tried their Coffee shake. It was nice and thick with loads of icecream. 37dhs
- 4. Slider Station – I ordered the Nutella thin shake. It’s served in a cute milk bottle with drizzles of Nutella rolled around the bottle. I would of preferred more ice cream to be blended in. The size was quite small for the price. 28dhs
- 5. Eat Greek Kouzina – The Nutella Spartan is the king of all milkshakes, served in a carafe with chocolate oozing down the sides of the bottle, it is also topped with a rather large Nutella filled cinnamon donut which is then pierced with your straw. 32dhs
View this post on Instagram
When the sugar cravings hit there's no stopping me. Drove all the way to MOE in traffic just for a Nutella Spartan. @eatgreekkouzina #nutellaspartan #milkshake #nutelladonut #nutella #donut #food #foodie #foodgram #nomnomnom #eeeeeats #dubai #dubaieats #dessert #uae #igfoodie #instafood #foodpic #yum #yummy #hungry #foodblogger #whatnossyate #zomatouae @zomatouae @chefandsteward
Let me know if there’s any others I’m missing out on in the comments section below!